Saturday, December 29

Zebra longwing butterfly - eclosure chrysalis to butterfly

butterfly, Heliconius charitonia
Zebra longwing butterfly, Heliconius charithonia
leaf mimicry butterflies
Zebra longwing butterfly, Heliconius charithonia

leaf mimicry butterflies
I knew these butterflies could be found in my west Austin neighborhood because I had seen one in a deep canyon the first month we moved here.  I didn't think that I would have to wait so long to see another one, after seven years I finally spotted one flitting through the back yard.  I watched "her" like a hawk and sure enough she laid an egg on our passion vine which I was able to raise to adulthood.

zebra longwing, Heliconius charithonia

Chrysalis eclose eclosure emerge

emerge eclose

eclosure

eclose

Zebra longwing butterfly
Zebra longwing butterfly, Heliconius charitonia

Heliconius charitonia
Zebra longwing butterfly, Heliconius charithonia



No comments:

Post a Comment