Friday, May 11

Curse of the Black Squirrel

Spermophilus variegatus
My children make fun of me saying that I am haunted by the "Curse of the Black Squirrel".  And baby black squirrels, like this one, are the worst.  Cute as he may be, he diligently took a bite of each cactus in my garden, to learn which ones would be good for eating later.  In the summer these squirrels like to dig 50% of the soil out of any freshly watered potted plant for unknown reasons, maybe just because the loose moist soil it is fun for them to dig in or maybe its just a rather mean joke they like to play.  One particularly ornery squirrel took to defecating each evening right in front of our back door, making quite a little stack after a few days.  I guess he was sending me a message about who owned the patio space me or him.

Spermophilus variegatus
Texas Rock Squirrel - Spermophilus variegatus
Echinocereus coccineus v. gurneyi
Echinocereus coccineus v. gurneyi - a deeper darker red than most coccineus.




No comments:

Post a Comment