Friday, June 3

Ferocactus Wislizeni

Ferocactus Wislizeni
Fishhook Barrel Cactus, largest barrel cactus native to Texas (far west El Paso area) hardy to 5 degrees.


Ferocactus Wislizeni
Flowers look like a camp fire.  The cactus stem is apparently eaten in Mexico, chopped into small pieces and soaked in sugar.  I can't imagine that it would make a good candy but I will have to post pone judgment until I can try one for myself.



Coryphantha macromeris, hardy to at least 14 degrees.  Macro being "large" and meris "parts" most likely refers to the spines which are quite large for a Coryphantha.  I have seen pictures of this growing in clumps three feet across, I wonder how long that takes?  It appears to grow about an inch every three years.


Nice combination of blooms from late June, most other cactus bloom much earlier.

No comments:

Post a Comment